Taschen Wintertime Tales
Despite its chilly weather and barren landscapes, wintertime has inspired some of the most magical and heartwarming stories in history. This season of celebration, frost and snow, religion, tradition, and adventure has produced such holiday classics as Clement Moore’s 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, and such colorful tales as the account of a pre-Christmas Posada parade in Mexico City. Brand: Taschen Fiber Content: Hardcover
Taschen PETER BEARD: THE END OF THE GAME, 50TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
Marking the 50th anniversary of its original publication, this powerful book documents Peter Beard's two-decade-long research on the overpopulation and starvation of elephants, rhinos, and hippos in Africa. Accompanied by gripping photographs, the reader gains insight about the damage done to these animal populations due to human intervention. By Peter Beard. Foreword by Paul Theroux. Published by Taschen. (December 2, 2015.) Hardcover with slipcase. 292 pages. 12.00" length x 10.75" width x 1.50" height (approximately). ISBN: 9783836555470.
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.GREATEST OF ALL TIME: A TRIBUTE TO MUHAMMAD ALI is a book with the power, courage, depth, creativity, and dazzling energy of its extraordinary subject. With thousands of images, including photography, art, and memorabilia and two gatefold sequences, this epic publication pays vivid tribute to The Greatest both in and outside of the ring. More Details Original essays and five decades' worth of interviews and writing explore the courage, convictions, and extraordinary image-building that made Ali one of the most recognizable and inspirational individuals on the planet, an icon not only as an extraordinary athlete, but also as an impassioned advocate of social justice, interfaith understanding, and peace. Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 7.0 Centimeters x W 20.0 Centimeters x L 20.0 Centimeters Product Code: V176000344440
Taschen Michael Muller: Sharks
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.This Collector's Edition of Muller's images brings the best of his shark shots together in a stunning portfolio of adrenaline and awe. Arranged geographically, it follows Muller's ocean adventures from black tip and sand tiger sharks in South Africa to great hammerheads in the Bahamas and the first known photograph of a great white breaching at night. Thrilling narratives from each trip document the challenges and near-misses along the way. More Details The book is presented in its own metal cage, conceived by Muller to allow readers an even more vivid sense of his underwater encounters, as if they themselves were diving down to face the sharks. Each cage is individually distressed to reflect the effects of time and salt water. To compliment Muller's work for advocacy organizations such as WildAid and EarthEcho, his photographs are contextualized with essays from Philippe Cousteau Jr. and marine biologist Alison Kock, who discuss exploration and conservation of our oceanic kingdom. Culture writer Arty Nelson adds an overview of Muller's work, while a technical section explains the precise equipment behind these spectacular shots. Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 8.0 Inches x W 15.0 Inches x L 20.0 Inches Product Code: V176000344492
Taschen The Rolling Stones Collector's Edition
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.Signed by all four members of the Rolling Stones, this collector's edition book charts the band's remarkable history and outrageously cool lifestyle in over 500 pages of photographs and illustrations, many previously unseen, and gathered from archives all over the world. Unprecedented access to the Rolling Stones' own archives in New York and London adds an equally extraordinary, more private side to their story. For Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie, this is their official photographic record. More Details This SUMO-sized hardcover in a clamshell box includes 500 pages of incredible images from some of the world's greatest photographers, including David Bailey, Peter Beard, Cecil Beaton, Bob Bonis, Anton Corbijn, Annie Leibovitz, Gered Mankowitz, Helmut Newton, Norman Parkinson, Bent Rej, and Ethan Russel, plus a foreword written by President Bill Clinton. Three new essays from award-winning writers David Dalton, Waldemar Januszczak, and Luc Sante. Appendix including Stones in the media, a Stones timeline, a discography, and photographers' biographies Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 10.0 Inches x W 25.0 Inches x L 25.0 Inches Product Code: V176000353137
Taschen 365 Day-By-Day Fashion: Ads of the 20th Century
Hardcover book, published by Taschen, titled 365 Day-By-Day Fashion: Ads of the 20th Century features daily inspirational quotes accompanied by images of vintage posters and advertisements throughout history.
Taschen Issey Miyake Collector's Edition Book
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.This TASCHEN Collector's Edition, initiated and conceived by Midori Kitamura, offers an expert history of Issey Miyake design. Presented in an original MIYAKE-designed book bag, the book traces Miyake's texture-driven originality from the earliest days of his career, when he first expressed his commitment to clothing as a field for enduring design rather than changing fashions. Collector's Edition of 1,000 numbered copies, each with Miyake's own “inkan”. More Details The designer: Renowned clothing designer Issey Miyake studied graphic design at Tama Art University, Tokyo, before founding the Miyake Design Studio in 1970, Miyake's creative base for all his work. In 2007, Miyake opened the design facility 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, also in Tokyo. The editor: Midori Kitamura is president of the Miyake Design Studio and 21_21 DESIGN SIGHT, working under Issey Miyake to develop collections, exhibitions, products, and publications, including Issey Miyake Pleats Please, also with TASCHEN. Kitamura directed the 2011 exhibition, Irving Penn and Issey Miyake: Visual Dialogue. The author: Kazuko Koike is the head of MUJI's Laboratory of Superior Items for Living and founder and former director of the Sagacho Exhibit Space in Tokyo. She has written and edited many books, including Issey Miyake East Meets West, Japanese Coloring, Japan Design, and Aura of Space. The photographer: Yuriko Takagi was born in Tokyo and studied graphic design at Musashino Art University and fashion design in England before becoming a photographer. She specializes in images of the human body and clothing and exhibits widely. Her publications include Nus intimes (Yobisha) and In and Out of Mode (Gap Japan). Technical Specifications: Hardcover in a book bag, designed by Issey Miyake, 36 x 36 cm (14.2 x 14.2 in.), 514 pages Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 8.0 Inches x W 20.0 Inches x L 20.0 Inches Product Code: V176000352520
Taschen David Hockney. A Bigger Book
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.A Bigger Book, TASCHEN's SUMO-sized David Hockney monograph, is as spectacular in format as it is in scope. In it, the artist takes stock of more than 60 years of work, from his teenage days at the Bradford School of Art, through his breakthrough in 1960s Swinging London, life by Los Angeles pools in the 1970s, up to his recent extensive series of portraits, iPad drawings, and Yorkshire landscapes. More Details Never before has Hockney's oeuvre been published on such an astonishing and immersive scale. As each page unfurls in a blaze of blues, pinks, greens, and oranges, we are spellbound both by the artist's vibrancy as a colorist and his extraordinary sense of the conditions of the world that surrounds us. Through Hockney's restless interrogation of perception and representation, we witness the mellow sheen of light on a muddy Yorkshire puddle, the ochre enormities of A Bigger Grand Canyon, the rustic majesty of Bigger Trees near Warter, and, of course, A Bigger Splash, with the exquisite sparkle of a turquoise pool beneath an iridescent California sky. These major paintings are joined by the artist's drawings, photo-composites, multi-perspective collages, stage designs, multi-camera video works, and iPad drawings, each a panoply of looking and showing in different styles and media. Hockney himself is present in every aspect of the publication. He collaborated closely through all production stages and conceived of this book as a purely visual survey of more than 450 works prefaced by a handwritten programmatic statement. As an artist who rarely looks back, the vast volume is as much his own personal review as it is a definitive record for art lovers all over the world. "I don't tend to live in the past," he comments, "Working on this book, I see quite how much I have done." This was featured in our Mother's Day Gift Guide as a unique gift idea. Check out our other great picks for Mother's Day here. Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 10.0 Inches x W 26.0 Inches x L 43.0 Inches Product Code: V176000344368
10% Off Select: SHOP10Taschen Peter Lindbergh: A Different Vision On Fashion Photography By Thierry-maxime Loriot Hardcover Book - Black
'A Different Vision on Fashion Photography' celebrates four decades of photography by Peter Lindbergh. Written by Thierry-Maxime Loriot, this hardcover book is filled with breathtaking illustrations and thoughtful anecdotes by icons including Jean-Paul Gaultier, Nicole Kidman and Grace Coddington. It's an inspirational insight into the extraordinary world of fashion and female beauty. -- 472-page hardcover book - Published: 2016 - Publisher: Taschen America - ISBN: 978-3-8365-5282-0
Taschen Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott. Signed Edition
Designed in collaboration with Giovanni Bianco, this Limited Edition explores the unique vision of a creative partnership that has defined and redefined standards for glamour, fashion, and luxury. Approximately 300 images from the megawatt Mert and Marcus portfolio are accompanied by an introduction by Charlotte Cotton. More Details Mert Alas, born in Turkey, and Marcus Piggott, born in Wales, met in 1994, at a party on a pier in Hastings, England. Piggott asked Alas for a light, the pair got talking, and rapidly discovered they had plenty in common, not least a love of fashion. Three years later, the duo now known as Mert and Marcus had moved into a derelict loft in East London, converted it into a studio, and had their first collaborative photographic work published in Dazed & Confused. These days, Mert and Marcus shape the global image of such renowned brands as Giorgio Armani, Roberto Cavalli, Fendi, Miu Miu, Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent, Givenchy and Lancôme, and public figures including Lady Gaga, Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, Linda Evangelista, Gisele Bündchen, Björk, Angelina Jolie, and Rihanna. Their photographs encompass a wide range of styles and influences but are renowned particularly for their use of digitized augmentation of images, and a fascination for strong, sexually charged, confident female subjects: “powerful women, women with a meaning, a you-don’t-have-to-talk-or-move-too-much-to-tell-who-you-are kind of woman.” Technical Specifications: Hardcover in clamshell box, 31.5 x 42 cm (12.4 x 16.5 in.), 408 pages, Product Dimensions: H 16.5 Inches x W 6.0 Inches x L 12.4 Inches Product Code: V176000364127
Taschen Modern Art 1870-2000
An overview of Modern Art that traces the style with a year-by-year succession of the groundbreaking artworks that shook standards and broke down barriers. Introductory essays outline the most significant and influential movements alongside explanatory texts for each major work and its artist. • Taschen • Hardcover • 693 pages • Full color
Taschen Stanley Kubrick Archives
Hardcover book, First Edition published by Taschen, entitled ,Stanley Kubrick Archives, highlights the comprehensive study of director Stanley Kubrick's film and creative process. Includes a CD interview with Stanley Kubrick and a twelve-frame film strip from a 70mm print from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Taschen Limited Edition Peter Beard
This limited XXL edition of Taschen's Peter Beard features 200 pages of diaries, 294 pages of collages and 5 fold-outs. With an original essay by photo critic Owen Edwards. Numbered 1827 of 2500.
Taschen Marvin E. Newman Collector's Edition
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.The volume includes vivid tableaux across New York, as well as top shots from his sports photography portfolio for the likes of Life, Look, and Sports Illustrated, and images from the Midwest; Chicago; a vintage 1950s circus; a legalized brothel in Reno, Nevada; Las Vegas; Alaska; and the West Coast. From Times Square to Wall Street, Newman’s vivid, original tableaux offer fresh perspectives on familiar New York landmarks but, above all, a unique sense for life in the city and for the drama, extremities, and complexities that weld New York to so many hearts. Beyond New York, Newman applies the same flawless technique and humanist sensibility to other locations across the United States, providing memorable images that leave their mark on the eye and the soul. More Details In 1952, after becoming one of the first-ever recipients of a Master of Science degree in Photography at Chicago’s Institute of Design, native New Yorker Marvin E. Newman returned to his hometown. Like many artists before, he set about chronicling the city. Unlike his predecessors, Newman chose color photography as the preeminent medium for capturing the people, landmarks, chaos, energy, and unique experience of 20th-century New York, and its emergence as the self-proclaimed “Greatest City in the World.” Lauded by the likes of Eastman House, MoMA, and the International Center of Photography, Newman’s images remained, up until now, largely undiscovered beyond a prestigious collector and gallery circle. After featuring Newman in New York: Portrait of a City, TASCHEN now presents the artist’s first career monograph in a Collector’s Edition of some 170 pictures from the late 1940s through to the early 1980s. Technical Specifications: Hardcover in slipcase, 12.0 x 17.3 in.236 pages Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 5.0 Inches x W 13.0 Inches x L 18.0 Inches Product Code: V176000355176
Taschen Annie Leibovitz
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.Annie Leibovitz drew from over 40 years of work, starting with the viscerally intimate reportage she created for Rolling Stone magazine in the 1970s and extending through the more stylized portraiture of her work for Vanity Fair and Vogue. Celebrated images such as John Lennon and Yoko Ono entwined in a last embrace are printed alongside portraits that have rarely, and sometimes never before, been seen. Annie Leibovitz was able to present some of her famous group portraits in a format that proves that she is the master of the genre. Her pictures are at once intimate and iconic, wide-ranging stylistically and also uniquely hers. Annie Leibovitz is often imitated, particularly by younger photographers, but her work is somehow immediately recognizable. The Collector's Edition is available in four different covers: Whoopi Goldberg, Berkeley, California, 1984 Keith Haring, New York City, 1986 David Byrne, Los Angeles, 1986 Patti Smith, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1978 All editions come with a tripod book stand designed by Marc Newson. More Details The bookends of the Leibovitz collection are the black-and-white photograph of Richard Nixon's helicopter lifting off from the White House lawn after he resigned as president in 1974 and the formal color portrait of Queen Elizabeth II taken in a drawing room of Buckingham Palace in 2007. In between are portraits that make up a family album of our time: actors, dancers, comedians, musicians, artists, writers, performance artists, journalists, athletes, businesspeople. Performance and power are recurring themes. A supplementary book contains essays by Annie Leibovitz, Graydon Carter, Hans Ulrich Obrist, and Paul Roth and short texts describing the subjects of each of the over 250 photographs. Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 8.0 Inches x W 27.0 Inches x L 43.0 Inches Product Code: V176000344441
Taschen Ai Weiwei Collector's Edition Book
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.This book, signed by the artist, is the first comprehensive monograph on Ai Weiwei's life and work. Compiled in close collaboration with Ai and with direct access to his own archives, it explores the artist's particular brand of expression and activism over more than 700 pages of images and text. More Details Today Ai Weiwei enjoys a reputation far beyond the art world. While his vast social or performance-based interventions and appropriated object-based artworks have secured his place as one of the world's leading conceptual artists, Ai is equally known as a social media phenomenon, a political activist, and an outspoken champion of free expression in his native China, where he earnt an 81-day police detention in 2011. Technical Specifications: Hardcover, clothbound, wrapped in a silk scarf, 13 x 17.3 in., 724 pages Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 6.0 Inches x W 12.0 Inches x L 17.0 Inches Product Code: V176000353110
Taschen The Fight
* Promo codes do not apply to this product, due to the brand's request.Four decades after its original publication, this new abridged edition of The Fight is introduced with an essay by Mailer scholar J. Michael Lennon and illustrated for the first time with principal photography by the two men who captured Ali and Foreman in the ring and in private like no one else: Neil Leifer and Howard L. Bingham. Widely considered to be the greatest sports photographer of his generation, Neil Leifer's vibrant color coverage dominates from ringside. It also serves as a living testimony to the pageantry, sheer physical power, and deep psychological interplay of the fighters, their camps, and their controversial host, Zaire's President Mobutu Sese Seko. Behind the scenes, meanwhile, Howard Bingham was Ali’s constant companion, documenting his every move from the moment he stepped off the plane in Zaire, his daily training regime, right through to the dressing room tension as he prepared to face Foreman once and for all. More Details On October 30, 1974, in Kinshasa, Zaire, at the virtual center of Africa, two African American boxers were paid five million dollars apiece to confront each other in an epic match. One was Muhammad Ali, who vowed to reclaim the championship he had lost. The other was George Foreman, who was as taciturn as Ali was voluble and who kept his hands in his pockets "the way a hunter lays his rifle back into its velvet case." Observing them both was Norman Mailer, whose grasp of the titanic battle's feints and stratage, and sensitivity to their deeper symbolism, made his 1975 book The Fight a masterpiece of sportswriting. Whether analyzing the fighters' moves, interpreting their characters, or weighing their competing claims on the African and American souls, Mailer was a commentator of unparalleled acumen-and surely one of the few intrepid enough to accompany Ali on a late-night run through the bush. Through The Fight he restores our tarnished notions of heroism to a blinding gleam, and establishes himself as a champion in his own right. Technical Specifications: Hardcover in clamshell box, 36.5 x 44 cm (14.4 x 17.3 in.), 260 pages Restrictions: Promotions cannot be applied to this product. Product Dimensions: H 5.0 Inches x W 17.0 Inches x L 21.0 Inches Product Code: V176000346716
Taschen Martius: The Book Of Palms
Based on Carl Friedrich Philipp von Martius' expedition to Brazil and Peru with zoologist Johann Baptist von Spix, this epic work outlines all known genera of the palm family. Famous for its unrivaled botanic illustration and taxonomy, this massive text is a genuine treasure for nature enthusiasts. By H. Walter Lack. Published by TASCHEN; Mul edition. (September 1, 2017.) Hardcover with jacket. 442 pages. 10.1" length x 1.9" width x 13.7" height (approximately). ISBN: 9783836566148.
10% Off Select: SHOP10Taschen Fashion Designers A-z Hardcover Book - Black
From Azzedine Alaïa to Yves Saint Laurent, 'Fashion Designers A–Z' celebrates a century of icons and the clothes that represent their philosophies and aesthetics. This hardcover book is filled with pages of stunning photographs of over 500 garments showcased in The Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology's permanent collection. Display it on your coffee table as its own piece of art. -- 648-page hardcover book - Published: 2016 - Publisher: Assouline Books - ISBN: 978-3-8365-2670-8
Taschen FRANK SINATRA HAS A COLD, LIMITED EDITION
Equipped with an assignment from Esquire, Gay Talese went to Los Angeles in 1965 to interview Frank Sinatra. The famed crooner, however, was feeling ill and refused to meet with Talese. Undeterred, Talese continued with his assignment by interviewing friends, family, and associates of the singer, hoping that, over time, Sinatra would recover and cooperate. Although the singer never obliged, Talese's story pioneered an award-winning style known as New Journalism that captured an unprecedented portrait of Sinatra. Limited edition of 5,000 numbered copies signed by Gay Talese. By Gay Talese. Photography by Phil Stern. Published by Taschen. (2015.) Silk-screened hardcover with embossed paper case. 244 pages. 9.50" length x 1.25" width x 13.50" height (approximately). ISBN 9783836547543.